How do I create a parenting schedule?
- Before you can create and share a parenting schedule with a co-parent or third party, you must add that co-parent or third party to your profile and connect. If you have not added a co-parent or third party to your profile, go to How do I add a co-parent? or How do I add a third party? and then proceed with the instructions below.
- You must use a parenting calendar to create and/or share a parenting schedule with a connected co-parent or third party.
To create a parenting schedule using a parenting calendar:
- Select the calendar icon.
- Select the icon.
Select your “Parenting Calendar” or a child’s parenting calendar (i.e. “Dylan – Parenting Calendar”) to use for the parenting schedule you want to create. You will be able to merge this parenting schedule with another child’s parenting calendar in a later step if more than one child applies to the parenting schedule you want to create.
AppClose will automatically create a parenting calendar for each child (i.e. Dylan – Parenting Calendar) when a parenting schedule is applied to a child in your circle for the first time. Parenting calendars for each child can be found in your list of calendars.
If at any point in time you choose to create an additional parenting schedule (i.e. summer break, holidays, etc.) that applies to more than one child in your circle, simply choose one child’s parenting calendar, create the parenting schedule you want, and apply it to other children in a later step. The parenting schedule you create will automatically merge for any other children selected for that parenting schedule. The same applies to swap days requests. This gives you the ability to easily merge new information for multiple children or only apply it to one child at a time depending upon your situation.
Press the orange (+) sign to create a parenting schedule.
Select “Parenting Schedule”.
- Select the co-parent to whom this parenting schedule will apply. If it applies to both parents, select the co-parent with whom you wish to begin.
If you want to set up an Expanded 1st, 3rd and 5th Weekends schedule and the 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends apply to your co-parent, select your co-parent on this screen.
If you want to set up a Repeating Weekdays schedule (i.e. repeating Thursday overnights) and this applies to your co-parent, select your co-parent on this screen.
If you want to set up a 2-2-3 schedule and the first 2 days apply to you, select yourself on this screen. If the first 2 days apply to your co-parent, select your co-parent on this screen.
- Click the orange arrow to proceed.
- Select the child(ren) to whom this parenting schedule will apply.
- Optional: If you would like to share this parenting schedule with a connected co-parent or a third party select “Share with”. *You cannot share a parenting schedule with a non-connect co-parent or third party.
- Optional: Select with whom you want to share this parenting schedule. You can share a parenting schedule with more than one person.
- Tap the orange arrow to proceed.
AppClose offers several common parenting schedule templates for you to choose from or you can create a custom schedule that corresponds to your unique parenting schedule.
You can click on any parenting schedule to view a brief description of that type of schedule. If you choose a 2-2-3, 2-2-5-5, or 3-4-4-4 schedule, you will have the ability to select a variation of that type of schedule in a later step.
*You have the ability to create more than one parenting schedule, but you can only create one type of schedule at a time. Create your most commonly used parenting schedule first, followed by your summer parenting schedule and then any holiday parenting schedules. Summer parenting schedules will override common parenting schedules (i.e. 1st 3rd 5th, 2-2-3, etc.), but holiday parenting schedules will override both common parenting schedules and summer parenting schedules. You can use a custom schedule to create any type of parenting schedule with the option to override any parenting schedule currently in place.
- Select the parenting schedule template that best corresponds to your current parenting schedule.
- Press the orange arrow to proceed.
Next, fill in the following fields:
- Select the date period for this schedule.
- Enter the pick-up and drop off times for this schedule.
- Optional: Select an alternative variation for this type of schedule if this applies to you. For example, if you selected a 2-2-3 schedule and you and your co-parent currently operate under a 2-3-2 schedule, select that variation.
- Tap “Create”when finished.
Your parenting time will be underlined in the color chosen for this parenting calendar. Your co-parent’s parenting time will be underlined in gray.
To view your parenting time statistics, click on one of the percentages in the statistics bar at the bottom of your screen.
Confirm your statistics screen is set to “Schedule”.
Click on your name or your co-parent’s name to view a parenting time log for that child’s parenting calendar.
On this screen you can view “ACTUAL” or “PLANNED” parenting time based on that child’s parenting calendar. Your app will keep track of any changes made to your originally planned parenting schedule and reflect those changes under your “Actual” parenting time for each child.
Once a parenting schedule has been shared with a connected co-parent or third party, the recipient’s calendar will display a “Merge” message. The recipient will then need to choose the parenting schedule(s) he/she agrees to accept from the calendars available. If the recipient has already set up a parenting schedule, his/her parenting schedule will be deleted and substituted with any accepted calendars.